Feb 6: a1 and recursion.
This week was very productive as my partner and I really got into a1. We've written the raw functions and the whole thing looks functional; now comes the debugging. Overall I really liked this assignment for how it made us check the relationships between different classes. Throughout this I think I really saw the value of OOP, and the whole 'system' really appealed to my intuition.
The lab was even better, and I really liked that they gave us super simple examples. Now I'm very curious to see how a more complex recursion would look, in the sense that in terms of efficiency this really appeals to me. My partner and I did the extra exercises at the end of the lab, and even started the string reverser recursion (which fascinated me the most).
Ive gotten better at syntax, defining classes and functions, and all the stuff that was troubling me at first. I'm worried for the midterm as I haven't written a paper programming test since 2010 and I still find myself having to resort to google when implementing things. On the other hand, I've been really surprised at how helpful all the TAs in this department are (meaning, in my major, this never happens), so I think it would be stupid on my part to not use them as a resource. Namely, I'm going to ask someone about __init__ because I am still struggling with it. I get what it does, what instantiation is, etc, etc, but I need to understand, algorithmically, what the implementation looks like in my mind. (For example, in a1, it says that my use of init for TOAHModel is a syntax error and I have no idea how to debug it as it looks no different than the way they used init for cheese.).
In any case, I really liked the methodology of this assignment, because while it was a simple task, working backwards from the fully functional code was a really cool way to learn it; in some sense, you can't do this without a thorough understanding of what's going on . Anyway, I'm most stoked for the recursion part, so we'll see !
This week was very productive as my partner and I really got into a1. We've written the raw functions and the whole thing looks functional; now comes the debugging. Overall I really liked this assignment for how it made us check the relationships between different classes. Throughout this I think I really saw the value of OOP, and the whole 'system' really appealed to my intuition.
The lab was even better, and I really liked that they gave us super simple examples. Now I'm very curious to see how a more complex recursion would look, in the sense that in terms of efficiency this really appeals to me. My partner and I did the extra exercises at the end of the lab, and even started the string reverser recursion (which fascinated me the most).
Ive gotten better at syntax, defining classes and functions, and all the stuff that was troubling me at first. I'm worried for the midterm as I haven't written a paper programming test since 2010 and I still find myself having to resort to google when implementing things. On the other hand, I've been really surprised at how helpful all the TAs in this department are (meaning, in my major, this never happens), so I think it would be stupid on my part to not use them as a resource. Namely, I'm going to ask someone about __init__ because I am still struggling with it. I get what it does, what instantiation is, etc, etc, but I need to understand, algorithmically, what the implementation looks like in my mind. (For example, in a1, it says that my use of init for TOAHModel is a syntax error and I have no idea how to debug it as it looks no different than the way they used init for cheese.).
In any case, I really liked the methodology of this assignment, because while it was a simple task, working backwards from the fully functional code was a really cool way to learn it; in some sense, you can't do this without a thorough understanding of what's going on . Anyway, I'm most stoked for the recursion part, so we'll see !
No comments:
Post a Comment